Watching paint dry...

on Saturday, February 28, 2009 at 12:32 PM

...watching grass grow or running laps on an indoor track. These are all about equivalent in terms of excitment. Did 4 miles recovery this morning around the track and was quite boring. We've had a recent spell of really cold temperatures. It was -12C around when i left so thought i'd head to try out the track.

The track is suspended above a hockey rink so it's not actually quite long being 161m long for one lap which means you have to run 10 of them to get to one mile. There isn't much in the way of scenery up there and if it wasn't for the fact there was some activity on the ice below, it would have driven me crazy. 4 miles required 40 laps. I'm pretty sure I wasn't going to be able to keep track of 40 laps and I didn't feel like pushing the lap button on my watch 40 times. I wanted to bring my Polar foot pod measuring thing, but i've been running my recovery runs in my nike frees and the foot pod doesn't feel comfortable when laced into the frees. I ended up bringing my garmin hoping that it would be able to get a satellite signal, but the measuring wasn't too great. You can see the map here. It thinks I did a little under 2.5 miles which is wrong. In the end, I was able to figure out that it took me a little over a minute to do a lap which means that 1 mile would been done in a little over 10 minutes so i ended up just running for 41 minutes or so.

There was a practice going on below for little kids. It was funny to watch cause when one kid would fall there would be a chain reaction with other kids tripping over the one that fell and you would end up with a big pile of kids on the ice. Anyhow, i think this is probably one thing I'm not going to do again anytime soon. It's just too boring. As much as i detest treadmill running, this was worse. If I had brought my mp3 player, it might have been a bit better but i'm not sure that even an mp3 player could save a long run on this track.

5 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

ha! My bf's daughter plays hockey there, and had a game today... but these kids look too little. Funny!

Reluctant Runner said...

Worse than a treadmill? Wow, that sounds pretty bad! And I believe it, because my son plays hockey and those practices can be kind of dull, even without running.

Neat that we are both running Around the Bay, and very cool that you are running Boston. I will be interested to follow your story, Arcane.

Sonia said...

What happened to treadmill running? Good thing you're not afraid of heights looking down like that from the track!!

I was thinking about the whole feeling like a 'real' scientist when having a desk job... I find it really hard! I guess it will take time to get use to it. 7 years into it and still feeling it eh?

yumke said...

Ha, come outside and join the outside. It's really not that bad out here! About two months till Boston. Excited yet?

jen said...

Ok, that does sound pretty boring. But that's kind of cool that it is above the rink!

temp