Winter's back

on Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Did a little over 5 miles yesterday at 10 min/mile pace. It was really tough. I didn't really drink a lot the day before and I don't think i was recovered from the LT run the previous day.

Did 10.2 miles miles this morning at about 9:20 pace. Weather was just below freezing. I contemplated going back to sleep when I woke up but realized the weather was going to worse in the evening and I don't want to run at the gym so I trudged out the door. There was about 2cm of snow on the ground and running through it was a bit of a chore. Guess I've been spoiled the past few weeks being able to run on bare pavement/sidewalks. Basically tried to keep the HR below 160.

I've noticed that my HR monitor has been giving me problems over the past few months. Sometimes the reading will be zero. It doesn't show in the graph but basically anytime there is a constant horizontal reading such as during the 1 mile mark, the watch is actually not picking up a signal from the HR monitor and gives me a reading of zero. I discovered by accident about a month ago, an undocumented feature where if I hold my watch right up to the HR monitor while it is doing this that the watch will reset and reaquire the signal which causes it to work again. Previously, i would stop the watch and restart it which was a bit of a pain cause then I had to merge the two data files. I've had the HR monitor for about 4.5 years so i guess it was bound to start having problems eventually.

2 comments:

A Toronto girl out West said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog!

I just realized you're running the Boston Marathon. How awesome are you! That's amazing! :o)

Anonymous said...

Hi Fran, Assuming everything goes as planned, Im sure we'll all meet up at the starting tent. You fast runner will probably start between 10-11am?
Seeding starts in late March.

I think Barbara said there were only 5 disabled runners this year. I know Mike and I have a tentative start time of 8:50am ( The smallest wave start ever..lol)

btw....Though I haven't blogged it yet, Ive decided to do both marathons ( actually one and half)
More than anything, I need a change of scenery and culture for while.

The reality of doing the BM hasn't really sunk in yet. I'm sure once I get back from Italy..It'll hit me like a ton of bricks.

temp