16 miles during a taper?

on Sunday, October 8, 2006 at 8:40 PM

I did a 16 mile long run today based on Pfitzinger's training plan. All my previous tapers, had a 12 mile long run for the first weekend of the taper. I'm not sure why Pfitz thinks it's necessary to do that much especially the day after a tune-up race.

Well i didn't hydrate that well yesterday after my race and I woke up this morning feeling a little dehydrated. I drank some water and headed out the door. I decided to try and run slow, but not quite at recovery pace. The first part of the run, I avergaed a little over 9 min/miles. I did run into a little problem though. About 10 miles into the run, I stopped by the only water fountain in the area for a refill only to find out that they turned it off. Add to that it was starting to warm up and that I had foolishly worn two long sleeve shirts and that pretty much made for a miserable last few miles. I ended up slowing down to a 9:30 pace. I got home and weighed myself and I was down 6 pounds from my normal weight. I going to call this a character building run.

Total for the week was about 39 miles. Next week is looking a little more like a taper week with THREE whole rest days! Pfitz still wants a 12 mile long run next Sunday though. I'm thinking of doing the Toronto half marathon as a training run, but I'm concerned with the longish hilly portions. Since I haven't done much hill training, I don't want to be using muscles I haven't used this training cycle only one week before marathon day.

Tomorrow's turkey day up here in Canada.


Gobble Gobble!

2 weeks and counting!

2 comments:

yumke said...

I saw the Ryan was doing 16 miles this weekend.. you guys have a tough program, but i suspect it'll pay off on race day. the toronto half has lots of hills (lots of down hills for the half) and the last 3k are slightly uphill. i remember being pretty sore after last years.. you could just 'run it' instead of racing.. i plan to cheer on from the sidelines.. least i can do..

Sonia said...

Wow 6 pounds water loss during your run.... I hope you hydrated well after!! =)

I hope the next 2 weeks have less mileage and feel more like a taper!

Happy thanksgiving to you.

temp