Game Plan for Race Day

on Monday, October 16, 2006 at 8:46 PM

No running today.

I've started trying to figure out a game plan for race day. I've decided that I'm going to try for 3:20. My half marathon time says I can do it and Yasso 800's says I can do it. It would represent a 16 minute improvement in my marathon time in a little over 5 months. Pfitz' plan has been great and I've really felt I've improved but is this biting off more than I can chew? No guts, no glory.

I'm contemplating whether I should sign up for the pace teams. From what the website says, you get a pace band and a bib that states your goal time to wear on your back. I may sign up to get the pace band, but I'm afraid of wearing the bib in case I crash and burn and end up having to slow down. I'd hate for someone to be following me with the intention of running 3:20 to be disappointed because of my failure. I may just try to forego the whole sign up thing and just try and stick with the pace bunny for the whole race, assuming he/she doesn't get lost in the sea of people.

They say you should set several goals for a race with one being your ultimate goal and at least one being realistic. So for Chicago, I've set my three main goals as follows in order of preference:

1) Sub 3:20
2) Sub 3:25
3) Sub 3:35

One other goal that I've always had was running a negative split, but in my experience that just isn't possible for me.

On a side, note, as luck would have it, I received two tickets to the Raptor's exhibition game on Sunday against Lebron James and the Cavaliers. That's right, this Sunday. I guess that's one game I won't be going to.

Hurry up damn week! Finish already!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You definitely have all it takes to kick this marathon square in the butt! Go for it!!

yumke said...

Go for 3:20. That's my target too. I would have hoped for a 3;25 pacer, but hey..

Which sectino are you starting in?

Sonia said...

Great target, you'll make it!!

Good luck again, even if you don't need it :o)

jellypepper said...

Go for it, the 3:20! Trust in the plan.

Too bad on the Raptors. Finally a team that has promise. And too bad they're in Chicago the weekend after we leave!

Arcane said...

thanks all for the encouragement!

Yumke, I'm in Preferred 1 also so if you want a running partner, I'm game.

Kristi said...

Negative splits are the bane of my existance as well. Good luck on Sunday and thanks for the encouragement!

temp