Need more speedwork

on Saturday, March 31, 2007 at 8:08 PM

My shin isn't completely healed. I can still feel a bit tenderness if I bend my ankle a certain way. I was reading a bit up on it and it seems that shin splints take a long time to go away and I don't want to lay off running completely so I decided to purchase a shin splint compression brace that I hope will allow me to actively recover. I went to the local running store on Wednesday to buy the brace and got there just as a crowd was gathering to do a group run. There were quite a few people there, probably at least 30. I was kinda jealous.

So I decided to switch training plans. Though Pftiz sure was great, I really want to focus on my speed work so I've decided to switch into the FIRST marathon training plan for the rest of this training cycle. I think I need to keep working on my Lactate Threshold and the FIRST plan has a speed workout and a LT/marathon pace run for each week remaining. All the paces are governed by current 5k pace. I'm estimating this to be 6:40, which FIRST says should predict a 7:40 marathon pace. All the runs are based on pace. Previously I had always relied on HR so this will be a change for me.

Yesterday, I went for my first run in a week and wore my nice new shin brace. The plan called for 10 miles at marathon pace.

Lap Lap Time
1 08:30.7
2 07:57.5
3 07:50.8
4 07:59.5
5 07:45.1
6 07:46.2
7 07:42.6
8 07:29.5
9 07:39.5
10 07:40.4

Did the first mile kinda slow. Had to feel out the shin and the knee. Seemed to be holding out okay though the shin was a bit sore even with the compression brace on. Got through the run which surprised me. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to finish it with the week off.

Another weird thing is my Polar watch is now telling me that the battery is low. I've had it for almost three years so it's about time that the battery gets changed, but I've been wondering if I should send it back to Polar or just get it done at the local jeweler. Apparently there's a water proof seal that is replaced if it's sent back to Polar for battery replacement. Ideally I'd like to do that, but it requires me to ship it off somewhere with no idea of how long it'll take to get back. I'm going to wear my HR monitor to sleep tonight to see what it's like. I've always wanted to do that, but was always worried about draining the battery. Since the battery is on it's last charge anyways, I guess it won't hurt now.

2 comments:

Audrey said...

Keep us posted on your REAL ACTUAL RESTING HEART RATE!! I totally want to know mine but haven't done mine yet either while sleeping. I am so curious about testing that!

Anonymous said...

Just got a Polar watch for my birthday. Can't wait to try it out.

temp