It's really cold

on Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 11:04 PM

Not quite -19C this morning, but still pretty cold at -16C. 10 miles with 5 @ LT pace on the schedule. Alarm went off at 5:45, but laid in bed for half an hour trying to convince myself it would be better to do it later. Finally rolled out of bed, put my winter stuff on and headed out. A t-shirt, a long sleeve shirt, a second thermal long sleeve shirt and a fleece shell. two pairs of gloves and a winter toque, thermal underwear and running pants.

Did three mile warmup to the track where i started into it. We haven't gotten a lot of snow lately and the sun has been out a lot. I had assumed that the track would be clear since most of the snow everywhere else is gone, but one end of the track still had some snow and ice on it. Had to do some careful navigating at that end. Was supposed to do 20 laps, but ended up with 21. I seem to always lose count and either do one too many, or not enough. This ended up being 5.2 miles at an average pace of 7:15min/mile. Then did one additional lap at recovery and then did the one mile jog home. My water bottle ended up freezing half way through the tempo run. Even with my fancy bottle with the kicker valve and me constantly shaking it, the water froze solid in the top part of the bottle after 45 minutes. Next time, i think i'll have to use gatorade since it should have a lower freezing point.

So it seems I 'm starting to get faster. This was slightly faster and slightly longer than the LT run I did 2 weeks ago, but this is still a long ways off from when i could average this pace over an entire marathon.

0 comments:

temp