Week 12 of 18 done

on Sunday, August 19, 2007 at 9:56 PM

I forgot to mention in my race report that the sadist that he is, Pfitzinger wanted me to do a 17 mile long run today, the day after going all out in a 9 mile run. I didn't get much sleep last night, which is kinda expected and there was no way I was going to try and do the run this morning. I tried to load up on calories this morning (McDonalds hot cakes, sausages and hash browns) to get ready for the run since I didn't really eat much the night before other than a steak sandwich and a beer that I purchased since the proceeds were going to charity. I also ate the typical free stuff they give away at races.

I headed out at 5pm for my 17 mile long run. I ended up average about 8:45 min /mile for the whole thing, but that included a short portion at the end at Boston pace. I decided not to run this with my garmin and was relying on my foot pod to track distance but I think the thing needs to be recalibarted again cause it severely overestimated the distance. It thinks I did 18 miles, but I'm pretty sure it was actually only 17. Kept the HR nice and low.

Total for the week was just under 50 miles.

The upcoming week 13 of the training plan is as follows:

Tuesday: 8 miles General Aerobic
Wednesday: 9 miles including 5x1000m @ 5k pace.
Friday: 12 miles General Aerobic
Saturday: 5 miles recovery
Sunday: 17 miles including 14 miles @ marathon pace.

I haven't decided if I'm going to try and do the marathon pace at my Boston pace or if I should stick to my original plan of trying to do 7:20's. The 5 seconds/mile difference probably isn't going to mean much, but to me that Boston pace is the Holy Grail and any long distances at that pace should be done only on race day.

5 comments:

Colleen said...

You're doing awesome. Seriously, your blog is such an inspiration to read because you are always right on target with your running and the training schedule. Nice job on the race this past Saturday. My vote is to go for the Boston pace for your MP long run next Sunday, but I'm sure you know best and you'll do what's best for you.

Audrey said...

omg, he is a sadist. that is INSANE. way to face the miles head on.

L*I*S*A said...

I'd say he's a sadist.

yumke said...

Have a great training week.
Keep in mind it's also going to be warm this weekend. I may try to adjust my schedule so i can do my marathon pacer (15 with 12 at pace) on a cooler day this week.

Arcane said...

Yumke: I think I"m actually going to try and start my long run at 6:30 on Sunday to try and mimic the time and start of the marathon. I may even get up super early and down a bagel or something as my pre-race meal. The low for this Sunday is predicted to be around 14C which is probably going to happen during the early morning. Almost perfect running temperature.

temp