Nutso.

on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 at 9:16 PM

Tuesday: Did 7.8 miles at about 8:35 pace. My legs were still a little sore from the weekend and didn't want to push too hard.

Today: 9 miles including 5x1000m @ 5k pace with 2 min recoveries. To date, I've been trying to do these at about 1:36 per lap which is 48s for every 200m. I've found that keeping track of how long it takes me to do each 200m allows me to maintain a fairly steady pace through each interval. This pace is about a 4min/km so that was the target for today.

Lap Time Pace HR Max HR Avg
04:00.8 06:27.5 177 170
03:58.8 06:24.3 180 172
03:59.9 06:26.1 181 174
03:59.5 06:25.4 183 173
03:59.3 06:25.1 181 175

So the splits were fairly consistent and the first 3 were run with pretty even pace. The fourth interval, I lost focus a bit and started to slow down halfway through the interval which required me to speed up towards the end to make up the split. The last interval was kinda the opposite where I started a bit too fast, tried to slow down, but slowed down too much and then had to boot it a bit towards the end. I'm okay with this pace and think I could push this pace to the 1600m that I'm supposed to do several weeks from now, though I'd like to be able to do these a tad faster.

Well the title of this post is what it is because the Toronto film festival released their film list today and unfortunately the "Spirit of the Marathon" is not one of the movies being screened so it seems that I won't be able to rely on that for motivation. I guess I'm going to have to rely on Chariots of Fire, Hoosiers, St. Ralph and whatever other inspirational movies I can think of for my motivation.

5 comments:

Tony said...

excellent BLOG! I am in my first year of running races and enjoyed your information. Next Stop...Chicago Oct 2007. Are you coming back this year?

yumke said...

I checked the tiff site as well and was also disappointed to not see that it'll be screening.

jen said...

Great run! Nice splits.

I'm sick of waiting for that movie! I've been getting occasional email updates and I think I should be able to buy the dvd by 2015. ;) Should be worth the wait though.

Arcane said...

Tony: No not Chicago this year. I was thinking of it, but it filled really early this year. Good luck with Chicago. It's a lot of fun.

AddictedToEndorphins said...

St.Ralph is ALL you need! I love that movie!
If all else fails, watch the trailer over and over. I watched that the night before my race.

You're speedy!

temp