Too Humid

on Wednesday, August 8, 2007 at 7:17 PM

Tuesday: Did 6 miles recovery including 6 strides.

Today: Had 12 miles with 7 at LT pace this morning. This was the last LT workout this training session and I was hoping to get these done at about 7 min/mile since I was able to hold that pace for 6 miles the last time. Unfortunately the weather wasn't co-operating. Was out the door at 5:30am with the temperature at 22C but at 100% humidity.

100% humidity basically means that sweating is useless since the sweat can't evaporate.

07:01.5
07:06.4
07:08.5
07:19.9
07:12.7
07:09.8
07:11.1


As you can see, the LT run didn't go too well. Not nearly where I wanted it to be. Anytime, I tried to pick it up the pace, my knee would complain. I never did get my HR up to 180 which is where I normally like to be for these things. The fourth mile was the worse as it was slower than my Boston pace and at that point I decided to stop for a 2 minute break and regroup. Finished the last 3 miles and then jogged home at recovery pace.

So I'm quite disappointed by this. The weather wasn't too great, my knee is sore, my calves are sore and to top it all off I think I've put on a couple of pounds over the past 2 weeks eating a ridiculous amount of junk food. Gotta start eating healthier. I have a 12 mile run on Friday and part of me wants to retry this LT run at that point since the weather looks to be slightly better.

Anyhow, I'm off to the gym right now to sit in a hot tub for half an hour to try and work out all the pains in my legs. Marathon training is tough!



3 comments:

yumke said...

Sorry it didn't go as planned. The weather didn't help -- and probably the early hour. (Still, to me, those splits look great)

I've forced myself to eat better this training period as i'm also trying to shed some serious pounds.

Colleen said...

The weather and humidity is terrible lately. I'm sorry to hear in interfered with your last LT run, but I've got to agree with Yumke that I think those splits still look pretty good. I'm hoping this week is the worst of summer and from here on we'll just have nice cool temps. Wouldn't that be nice?!

L*I*S*A said...

The humidity is a killer for sure. I'm sure you'll come back and have a great 12-miler.

temp