Stride Efficiency

on Tuesday, July 3, 2007 at 10:13 PM

8 miles with 8 strides this morning. I concentrated on cadence trying to get close to 180 steps per minute or 90 steps per side per minute. I did the 8 strides around a track in the middle of the run. I really tried to focus on leg turnover rather than just pumping my legs and arms to run faster. I hardly had any arm swing at all. I found that by doing this the strides were easier. It caused me to be more efficient with my running which allows me to run faster at a faster pace.

5 comments:

jen said...

That makes sense I guess, swinging your arms a lot can't be efficient. I'll have to try that. Great run!

yumke said...

You'll have to shoot a video of yourself so we can see what you mean :). I'll try different types of strides.. do you do 300 metres recovery between sets?

Arcane said...

I wouldn't say I didn't have any arm swing since I would then be running like that girl on Seinfeld with the straight arm walk and that would just look weird!
You can actually find a video of what it looks like on youtube if you do a search for "pose running" It's a running technique that concentrates on turnover. You'll see that they barely swing their arms.

Arcane said...

oh yeah and I do 300m recovery jogges between each stride.

Anonymous said...

This is one area where joggling is actually helpful for running. Your feet are naturally coordinated with the rhythm of the juggling pattern. If you want to speed up your pace, you increase the speed of the juggling balls and your feet just fall in line. The balls let you "see" your pace.

temp