Survived the weekend!

on Monday, September 18, 2006 at 7:41 PM

Well I survived the weekend. Saw 6 movies on Saturday which worked out better than I thought. In order to get ready for my marathon pace run on Sunday, I ended up eating a small plate of food court pasta for lunch and then bought a half dozen bagels which I ended up snacking on for the rest of the evening, washing it down with a bottle of gatorade. Not exactly the tastiest way to carboload but it worked. Generally liked most of the movies I saw. Can't say I had a favourite as they were all good in their own kind of way. The only real "movie star" I got to see live was Sigourney Weaver who was at the screening of Snow Cake in which she plays an autistic woman. She puts on a great performance. I don't know if the movie will get much screen play (especially in the US) since it's based in a little town in Northern Ontario but if you get a chance to see it, do so.

Ms. Weaver's the one on the right

I ended up getting home at about 2:00am in the morning, though probably didn't get to sleep until 3am. Turned off the alarm and ended up waking up naturally at about 8:30am. Decided to drive down to the waterfront to run. Pfitz had a 17 mile run with 14 miles at marathon pace planned. I ended up doing 18.5 miles. I did about 14.5 miles at marathon pace which were sandwiched between 2 mile warmup and cooldowns. I averaged about 7:45 min/miles for the marathon pace portion which I think is just about right in terms of a pace that I think I could reasonably hold over 26.2 miles. Also my HR seemed to be in the right zone for a marathon pace run which for me was to keep it below 170. Hopefully this will carry forward till race day.

I hadn't done a long run by the lake in over a month since my first 20 miler. The interesting path that they were building which had been converted from a road is all gone as it seems that it was just a temporary thing. That doesn't make any sense to me. They spent a bunch of money laying down sod, and planting and watering flowers to give us a feeling of what it would be like when they eventually got around to building it and then they go rip it all out and convert the thing back into a road. Go figure.

I'm supposed to do another tune-up race this weekend with a 17 miler on Sunday. I think I'll skip the race this weekend and head to the track and do a Yasso 800 workout. I'm debating whether I should register to run the Scotiabank half marathon this Sunday as part of my long run. It's a bit pricey though at $70. They are apparently still looking for pace bunnies for the full, one of which is the four hour bunny. I seriously considered volunteering for this since they give out a whack of free stuff (entry, shoes, shirt, socks, cap and shorts), but in the end decided against it. I don't want to jeopardize my number one goal which is October 22 to get a bunch of free stuff (which I'd probably have to declare on my income tax form anyways..)

1 comments:

jellypepper said...

Congrats on surviving the weekend, and then getting out there. Nothing went according to plan for me, but oh well, I feel I'm getting back into it...albeit slowly.

I too enjoyed Snow Cake. I don't know what my favorite was either, though I found Blindsight to be absolutely touching. For pure riproaring fun, I'd have to say either Borat or Severance. Thumbs down for All the Kings Men.

temp