R.I.C.E.

on Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 8:57 PM

I'm pretty sure I have sprained my right ankle since it's quite tender. I can still walk around and put weight on it and even run with it, so the sprain is slight. Thakfully I have a rest day tomorrow and a recovery run Saturday (which I will probably skip). Gonna do the whole Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevate thing and hopefully I'll be okay for my long run on Sunday.

Anyhow this morning I decided to do my scheduled 10 mile run anyways. I rummaged through my closet trying to find my orthotics since I figured I could squeeze an extra couple of runs out of my non-supporting shoes, if I had my orthotics in there to provide suport and lo and behold, I find a pair of last year's model Adrenalines that I used over the winter for treadmilll training. They still looked in pretty good shape. I got em on sale and they are half a size too big, but since I didn't have any other usable shoes and hate running in my rock hard orthotics, I ended up running in the old Adrenalines. Polar says I ran 10.15 miles but I know that's definitely wrong. I ran the same route that I ran last week which was about 10.3 miles, but I took a short cut near the end since I was running late. I figure I ran about 9.6 miles at a 9min/mile pace. It's at a time like this when I envy all the garmin wearers since I have to recalibrate the polar thing everytime I switch shoes.

I had turned off the autolap so I don't have lap pace averages (they're wrong anyways). The lap times that are there are manual laps. I usually try to manually calibrate the foot pod by running a fixed distance at some point during the run and comparing what polar reports after. So the times for laps 3 and laps 5 are actually a 3 lap run (1200m) around track so I can get an idea of what the calibration should be. These laps were measured to be 1252 and 1276m respectively which is quite a bit more than what it should be.

What I find interesting is my HR was actually way down, more so then I was expecting and in fact was almost at recovery run HR. This was most likely do to it being very cool (about 14C) .

Anyhow going to go numb my ankle in ice now. Hope everyone has had a good week so far.

3 comments:

Chad said...

Just thought I'd stop by and see what's up. Hope the ankle recovers quickly.

Thanks for swinging by my blog.

SRR said...

Should you be running on a sprained ankle, sweetie? You better take it easy!

Ryan said...

Great run! Careful with the ankle... hope you don't hurt yourself. I can relate to the stuggle with the accuracy of the mile splits - I have a Polar too!

temp