Here we go again...

on Tuesday, October 30, 2007 at 11:38 PM

Okay so the 16 week training program started today and I set the alarm for 6am, but couldn't roll out of bed this morning and ended up doing it in the evening. Right now, I think I'm going to try the Runner's World Smart Coach Plan since I like that they give me paces to aim for. I also like that the first week training paces match sort of what I was doing toward the end of the last Pfitz plan. 8:09 for general aerobic and 6:50 for LT's and 6:20 for 1600m intervals. The paces get progressively faster over the 16 weeks so I'm hoping that I can keep up with it. The suggested LT's are a bit faster than what I was doing, but I think that's where my LT should be based on my 15k race that I did a few months ago and my 30km split time in the marathon that I did a month ago.

So the plan today called for 9 miles @ 8:09 pace. I think I ended up at the right pace overall but that included a 9:30 first mile and a 7:00 LT mile at the end. The plan calls for 6:50 LT miles on Thursday which will be interesting to see how I do.

I've ordered a couple of books last week including two running books. Daniels Running Formula is a lot more detailed than Pfitz and gives a lot of good advice. I've only really skimmed through it, so will have to spend some more time with it. I also ordered a book put out by Runners World about the FIRST plan. Haven't gotten that one yet, but I way end up switching to that plan as i like the idea of only having to run three days a week.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

hi. i dig your title. you have so much enthusiasm for running i think 08 is your BQ year :)

yumke said...

Here we go again indeed! I look forward to seeing how things go with your new approach to training. I tend to agree that the Pfitz could use some tweaks to make it a little more effective in the second half of the marathon. I'm also interested to see how you're going to deal with speedwork and LTs during the winter months because i'm seriously considering a spring marathon.

L*I*S*A said...

I've heard nothing but great reviews about the First program. I bet you'll like it.

Quinto Sol said...

I really like the FIRST plan... I always end up changing a thing or two, but try to adhere to it as much as I can. It can be tough, but you can handle it.

Perry said...

Wow, back on the saddle again. I decided to take a short break from training. Still keeping the streak alive of course, but I need a break. I don't know how you can jump right back in.

temp