Back to the Gym

on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 at 11:17 PM

Went off to the gym after work to run. I wanted to get some feedback on where my fitness is and I like using the treadmill for doing this as I don't have to worry about pace. Ran with the footpod tracking thing to see how accurate it was.

Lap 1: 6.6 mi/hr Lap 6: 7.2 mi/hr
Lap 2: 6.7 mi/hr Lap 7: 7.4 mi/hr
Lap 3: 6.8 mi/hr Lap 8: 8.6 mi/hr
Lap 4: 6.9 mi/hr
Lap 5: 7.0 mi/hr


I started out at just over 9 min/mile pace and bumped up the speed every so often. I try to do my long runs at a HR of 160 Max which I'm guessing right now is at about 7.25 miles/hour based on this graph. I bumped up the speed for the last 10 minutes to what I think is my LT pace of about 7min/mile which in my experience gives me a HR of just under 180 which seems about right. I'm going to try and do this every couple of weeks so I can hopefully see some improvement.

4 comments:

Audrey said...

this post made me feel so lazy. i did my recovery run at ~145-50 HR yesterday! way to push it!!!

Triseverance said...

I hear you on the 160 being a nice long run HR. It really was the same for me. It has been strange running just 5bpm slower at 155 to stay solidly in my Aerobic Zone.
I question if at 180 you are going anaerobic. Although for as long as I have been following your training your HR always seemed to be just higher then the norm.
Nice workout

Arcane said...

Bob, I've been thinking about that too and have considered getting a lactate threshold test done to pin point the right speed.

I've found many different ways of determining LT and they all seem to contradict each other. I've always used the 180 but I sometimes think it's too high or too low. Pfitz says 180 is too high for my maximum HR, but Daniels says that it should be what you can race for an hour. I was able to average a HR of 185 for a 15km race a few months ago so that would say 180 is too low!

Triseverance said...

Fran there are a million different ways to get to the same end. But I think you are like me a bit analytical about things. That might make a LT test worth it for you, then you know and you can really hit your zones and from what I understand train more effectivly. But if it aint broke don't fix it, right?

temp