Damn ankle

on Sunday, April 8, 2007 at 11:12 AM

I've decided to take more time off from running. I've realized that trying to recover while running isn't going to work. I tried to go out for a run yesterday and it was pretty clear that my ankle was not going to make it. I was altering my stride to compensate for the pain which will probably lead to knocking something else in my body out of whack which would lead to more pain. I've been reading up on this injury and especially others that have experienced it in the Runners World forums and think it's best to lay off for a good solid two weeks with constant icing and compression. I'll try an maintain the fitness by other means most likely swimming and trying out those elliptical machines at the gym. At the same time, I'm going to try and strengthen the legs to try and avoid this from recurring.

5 comments:

L*I*S*A said...

I think you're doing the right thing. No sense making something worse when a little time off is probably all you need.

Audrey said...

:( But you are wise.

And, just to put the usual worries at ease for all injured runners:

1) you will not get fat
2) you will get in shape again

that is all :)

yumke said...

get better.. good idea to take some time off...

Anonymous said...

I've found that deep massage to the posterior tibialis works really well for jump starting the healing process...to find the tendon put your hand on the involved shin about three or four inches below the knee...this will vary depending on the length of your leg (use the hand on the same side as the injury for ease of massage) then slide your fingers off the inside of the tibia (shinbone). As your hand comes around the front of the bone apply some deeper pressure. You'll find your really sore sport really quickly. (You'll know you're on the right spot if it makes you want to pee your pants). Massage with as much pressure as you can stand for about ten or fifteen minutes or until the pain starts to subside. Then ice...rub an actual piece of ice on the same spot for ten minutes.
I usually buy those little dixie cups and fill them halfway up. Then you can tear down the paper cup and have a nice ice block in a wrapper so your hand doesn't freeze.
You might also want to consider orthotics if you don't already have them. Usually posterior tib tendonitis is the result of an early navicular drop during the loading phase of gait. (The navicular is that little bone on the inside of your foot near the highest part of your arch just in front of your heel...it's probably sore too and you can also massage there.)

Colleen said...

I'm sorry that you are still having problems with the ankle. Time off is probably the best thing, but I know how difficult it is to take time when all you want to do is run! Hope you have a speedy recovery!

temp