Who treats sore feet?

on Saturday, November 4, 2006 at 3:49 PM

WE treat sore feet. I picked up my race kit for my race tomorrow. Pretty nice collection of things. A red Nike technical t-shirt and a polycarbonate water bottle were included. The shirt has a sponsor logo displayed prominently on the sleeve, but it's free so I can't really complain.

My race kit had a fridge magnet for a foot clinic. If you want to see some disgusting pictures of various foot related problems, that's the site to visit. I don't know how much they spend on advertising, but as far as I can remember, EVERY single race kit I've ever received in and around the Toronto area has had one of these fridge magnets. Here's my collection.




I did a 3 mile recovery run with some strides this morning. Nice slow pace.

I've been spending some time looking at various marathons for the spring. I'd like to do a marathon in the spring but don't like the idea of trying to put in hard training during the winter months. I did winter training for the first time this year and hated it. Granted most of the runs were at the gym and I came down with a virus which knocked out my training for about 2 weeks so my general recollection is that it sucked. I've been thinking of trying the FIRST marathon training plan. It's a 3 day a week plan. The main purpose will be to give me some structure so that I can maintain my fitness gains of the past year. I'm not sure it'll get me to a BQ in the spring, but if it does, that'll be gravy. My real BQ attempt will be sometime next fall where I will have had the whole summer to prepare.

As for the actual spring event, it's a bit tough to say. I'm looking at marathon's in May. I see a lot of RBF are doing the Flying Pig in Cincinnati. I'm leaning towards avoiding travel to a US event so I'm looking at events closer by. I did the Mississauga marathon last year and may do it again but would rather not do a race that I've already done. Two that are looking as possible candidates are Forest City and Ottawa. Don't know for sure yet, but I don't really have to decide until the new year.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh cmon, Do Portland or San Francisco with me next year :)

I know what you mean about traveling long distance. Sounds fun , but it can be very costly. I was going to do the Vancouver marathon this year, but I chickened out at the last minute.

Have fun at your next race!

jellypepper said...

Nice collection of magnets. I'm still mulling my 2007 race calendar, but probably won't do anything major - ie a full marathon - til the fall. A half in Ottawa not a bad idea though.

yumke said...

congrats on your race today.. looked ya up and saw that you came third in your category! 4:12 kilometres two weeks after the marathon, you are speedy!

Arcane said...

Stephen: I was also looking at the san
Diego rock and roll 'thon in June.

Yumke: Hey thanks. I actually ended up 2nd in my age group cause the first place guy finished in the top 3 overall.

Perry said...

Arcaner,

I did the Flying Pig a few years ago and you better be prepared for some significant hills (unless they changed the course). It was a great marathon and all but much tougher than Chicago.

A few of us in my running circle are going to do the Tampa Bay marathon in February. I LOVE running 20 milers in the bitter Chicago winter weather. The hardest part is juggling with thick, heavy gloves.

Perry, 44
Just Your Average Joggler

temp