Slow running

on Sunday, November 12, 2006 at 11:12 PM

Did a little under 7 miles on the treadmill at the gym cause it was raining.
Did about 12 miles today outside.
Did a little over 30 miles for the week.

I did both of these runs at recovery pace. With no more races for the year, I've moved into my base building mode for the winter which means I will try to do nothing but recovery runs and trying to keep my HR below 150. I found it worked well for me last year helping me build endurance. I read about this last year at this site. My goal is to try and give a solid 2 months of this low heart rate training. My hope is that by at the end of the 2 months, I will be able to average better than 8:30 min/miles at a HR of 150. Currently I can do a little over 9 min/miles at that HR. Based on my recent marathon time and fooling around with McMillan, that website says I should be able to average 8 min miles at that HR.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ever consider racewalking? A lot of runners are doing it.
Dave Mc Govern puts on an awesome weekend clinic. The second day is devoted entirely to the topic you just discussed.

Hope you have a good winter season!

Steve

Anonymous said...

The Maff theory has always intrigued me there is a big group of people on the cool running boards that subscribe to it and have seen big results. I will be interested to see how it goes for you. Keep us in the loop.

temp