Finally!

on Thursday, November 8, 2007 at 8:39 PM

Finally got outside for a morning run today. 2 C outside. Woke up at 6:00am, but took me half an hour of lying in bed before I was able to do it. Plan called for 7 miles with 2x1600m @6:23. I ended up aiming for 6:20 since that's what my last VO2Max session back in September was at. Even though it's been a while since I've done any sort of interval work, I figured I should be able to handle it since they had 800m jog recoveries (rather than the 2 minutes that Pfitz uses) and I only had to do 2 of them.

Lap Time HR Max
06:20.6 185
06:19.0 187




My shoelace started to come undone during the second one which was causing my footpod measuring thing to flop around so that's why there's a big pace differential on the second one. This HR and time is about the same as when I did it last time so that's looking good. These things are supposed to drop down to 4 of these at 6:12 in twelve weeks. It's only a mesely 8 seconds over a mile, but that seems like a lot.

So I've been trying to figure out which February 17 marathon to do. There are a handfull on that date. Basically looking for a flat and fast course with coolish temperatures. There's the Last Chance for Boston that I've previously mentioned. There are two in Florida being the A1A marathon in Fort. Lauderdale and the Breast Cancer Marathon in Jacksonville. The later is a first time event and first time events tend to have issues. I'm also considering the Myrtle Beach Marathon in South Carolina on February 16. Anyone know how the humidty is in Florida in February?

8 comments:

A Deal Or No Deal said...

I don't think south Florida is ever a good place for a marathon. Average temperatures for Fort Lauderdale in February are a high of 25 and a low of 16. Compare that with 19/7 in Jacksonville, and it's even cooler in Myrtle Beach.

yumke said...

My girlfriend and I were thinking of going to Ft. Lauderdale for the A1A half (as it turns out, we're just going for a vacation to Miami in early January).

It was an early start (6 a.m.?) and i think there's a good chance it could be warm.

When was your last spring marathon? I'm very interested in figuring out winter training since i'm just used to base/maintenance running in winter months..

Triseverance said...

Hey Fran, I love your charts. Nice temps outside make that a very understandable chart.
I vote for the last chance for Boston, they call it that for a reason.

Sonia said...

Have you checked out the race report on runningmania for the Myrtle beach marathon in 2007? Plod-Along did it.

Anyway, it's not going to be cool but the race starts early.

Whatever you decide: Good luck!

mg said...

Fran, I'm just finally catching up with you. I'm sorry that you weren't able to get your BQ this fall, but I am so impressed that you ran two 3:2x marathons two weeks apart. Best of luck to you with your new training plan and picking out a race to run!

Arcane said...

adeel: You're probably right about Ft. Lauderdale

Yumke: The only one I did in the first half of a year was Mississauga in 2006.

Sonia: Thanks, I checked it out. I also noticed there are a few people doing it in 2008 also!

Perry said...

Fran,

This year I ran the Tampa Bay marathon in Florida on Feb 18. This year it is on Feb 19th.

http://www.tampabayrun.com/site3.aspx

The weather for the run was perfect and the course was relatively flat (like Chicago). The hardest part was the last 2 miles that ran straight into a steady headwind.

Overall, it is a good option for a Florida marathon

Ryan said...

I am 90% I am going to LCFB in Columbus. I'll be going there provided I can shake this Achilles issue. Bring your warm gear. Wait, you're Canadian, so this one's right up your alley. Think flat. Think speed. Think 26.2 laps!!

temp