Still feeling not quite ready...

on Monday, October 19, 2009 at 10:22 PM

First off, congratulations to Yumke for running a great race and qualifying for Boston.  Go read his report, if you haven't already.


Since I last updated, I had two runs.  Friday was 5 miles with 6 strides and Sunday had a 12 miler planned.  As coincidence would have it, the start line for the Toronto marathon was a little over 6 miles away from my home.  Plan was easy.  Run there, watch the start and run back.  tried to time it so i would get there with about 10 minutes to the start line.  Course was a lot hillier than i thought it would be - at least a 50m elevation drop and then rise.  Had to maintain 9 min miles to get there and had the HR start spiking and couldn't stop to let it calm down. Got there about on schedule and ran into Kenny and wished him luck and then parked myself at the 1km mark with my cowbell and waited for the crowd to come. 5 minutes later it was done and i headed home at a slower pace. 

The is the last week of the taper, but i don't feel as good as I normally would.  This commuting thing really is starting to take a beating on me.  One thing i didn't account for is the amount of walking I do every day now.  walking to the bus stop, walking up and down the stairs to get to the subway, walking to and from the subway to work.  My legs just feel super tired all the time now.  Not sure there's much i can do about it other than maybe driving to work every day, but that would probably be mentally very frustrating having to sit in traffic for much longer than it would take me on public transit. 

Weather update for Niagara: cloudy, rain, breezy with wind from the WSW at 25km/hr. that's not too bad.  Bit of tail wind in places, bit of a cross to slightly headwind towards the end. I think I have to register tomorrow if i intend to do it since they cut off date is Wednesday..  

4 comments:

Runshorts said...

I'm feeling the same way about my taper - like I'm just not getting the rest prescibed and I don't have the spring in my step that I normally have at this time. I keep reminding myself "the hay is in the barn" but my mental game is taking a beating. From your twitter posts it sounds like you've trained hard and I wish you happy feet for a great race Sunday!

yumke said...

I will be cheering you on while I’m running this weekend -- send some karma your way. You’ll do great, you’ve been such a consistent marathoner and now with a 3:15, I think you have the base fitness and experience to do it. Get that BQ so we can meet up in Boston. I see you have potential wind to deal with but I’m assuming the forecast will change as we get closer.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Good luck this weekend! Niagara is a race i've always wanted to do! Enjoy!

Quinto Sol said...

I know you mentioned massages... have you tried one? Give it a shot...

temp