100 pushups

on Saturday, July 18, 2009 at 10:57 AM

So the week so far has looked like this:

Tuesday: Did about 9.5 miles which included 4x1200m repeats done at 3:58 min/km. HR topped out at 186. I thought that doing longer repeats might help me build up some stamina to hopefully hold this type of pace over a continuous 5k.

Wednesday: Went to the Running Room "20 minute challenge" and did 2 miles. The Running room store hosts an annual event that encourages people to come out and be active. They give out free hats to people that attend. I don't normally run at the running room and honestly I only went cause i wanted to get the 20% off coupon that comes with the hat, since I need a new pair of shoes. I was going to go buy the shoes this weekend, but I received a flyer in the mail yesterday from another local running store saying that they are having their annual sale starting next week. I think I bought 3 or 4 pairs of shoes at last years event, and I'll probably do the same this time. The shoes they are advertising are actually cheaper than what I would get at the Running room with the 20% discount so I guess I'll wait.

Thursday: Did 10.3 miles which included 4 miles at LT pace (7:04, 6:54, 6:56, 6:54). Did the old shopping mall route. Ran into the Tachycardia (hr spiking) thing during mile three, but was able to run through it. I would normally slow down or stop, but it didn't seem to effect the running so I continued. It stopped right after a slowed down after LT mile 4. I should probably get it looked at at some point.

Saturday: 6 miles recovery @ 9:15 pace.

I thought it might be useful to work on some core and upper body strength, which I really have not done any of in the past few years. Today was my first attempt at the 100 pushups program. I've read a lot of other bloggers doing this and thought I'd give it a try. Well I was only able to do 15 pushups on my initial test and I couldn't get through the first day workout which required 5 sets which means I'm a skinny weakling. I guess I'll have to keep repeating the day 1 workout till I can finish it. I'll probably work in some upper back exercise also to balance things out. I'm sure that when I start those, I'll be equally as inept. Gotta start somewhere...

2 comments:

Steve said...

Don't feel bad, I ve been trying everything to get some upper body strength, but it seems the harder I work, the weaker my muscles become.
The good news is that Ive lost a few lbs ,mostly from my gut, so the ab program is apparently working a little. In Boston, I was an uncomfortable 151lbs, today I weighed in at 143lbs

And Yup, that's the slumdog theme done by the pussycat dolls. I like that version. I mis quoted the pace, on my player it gives me a 15:20 pace , not 13

jen said...

Great runs and yay for shoe sales. I usually order mine online because that is the cheapest I have found them. But if you can stock up at the sale, that would be great!

Awesome start with the pushups and good luck. I did 8 on my initial test and Zach did 25 but he'd been doing quite a bit of weights including pushups sometimes. I would advise you to repeat each week twice or more if needed. The six week thing is a little ridiculous. Of course, I can't really talk because it took me about 6 months to get through the first 4 weeks. :P The most I was ever able to do was 60, but that's still good! I've sort of given up so that's probably my lifetime max. I can live with it. Good luck!!

temp