Little bit of a setback

on Saturday, June 6, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Hit a little bit of a stumbling block. Did a little over 7 miles on Thursday. Plan was do 9 or so that included a 4 mile LT run and rather than do it at the track like I have been the past little while, I headed to the 1 mile route that i've used in past years around a local shopping mall parking lot. On the 2 mile jog over there, i noticed my right achilles was tight but i figured it would loosen up. Started into it and managed 7:08, 7:03, 7:05 and 7:01 mile splits with the achilles continuing to bother me. Once that was done, i slowed down to a recovery pace for one more lap where my achilles started to really ache. I then proceeded to limp back home.

I guess the three days of running in a row totaling 22 miles with two kinda hard workouts wasn't a good idea after a relatively light 14 miles of running the previous week. I think I've narrowed the issue down to some trigger points in my calf that are causing my achilles to be overexerted so i'm trying to kneed those out using the Stick. I had this same problem in my left achilles while trying to ramp back up after Boston. You'd think i would have learned by now. So it's been two days of rest with lots of icing and then try for 10 miles tomorrow at a slow pace.

4 comments:

yumke said...

Hope it gets better quick. I've tried to ramp up my mileage carefully the past month as I plunge into the training.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

ugh, calf issues suck, hope the Stick helps and you get it under control quickly and easily :) good luck.

jen said...

Sounds like you are nipping this in the bud. Smart! Take it easy and thing long term.

Steve said...

Well, at least your next race is only a 5K?

I hope you feel better soon my Canadian friend!

temp