4 days and counting

on Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Did 6 miles recovery on Tuesday at recovery pace. I did 7 miles today with 2 miles at around 7:35 min/mile which is where I think my marathon pace should be based on my HR. To be honest, I don't think i could maintain that for 26.2 miles at this time. As I'll only need to average 8:47 pace this weekend, I hope there's enough of a buffer there.

So on the injury front, my knee still has a smallish scrape on it. I took off the fancy bandage I had and replaced it with a regular band-aid. The fancy bandage supposedly keeps the wound from scabbing by keeping the area moist. At this point, it's healed up sufficiently that I don't mind a small area scabbing up. I think it's more important that i be able to run on Sunday without a bandage.

Second issue is that my new Saucony Omni Grid 6's that I've been trying to break in have been giving me blisters on the side of my left big toe. I noticed it a few weeks ago when I ran the Mississauga half. When I change shoes, it doesn't blister, but when I put the Sucony's on, it blisters again in the same spot. I felt around in the inside of the shoe, but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I've never had problems with blisters so this is new to me. I'm going to buy some body glide and see what the drug store has to cover up blisters. Worse case scenerio, I go back to my previous shoes, but I'm kinda worried about them cause the last time i used them I had achilles and calf problems which basically tell me that they were done.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I signed up for the lottery for the NYC marathon and didn't get in which is good as i didn't really want to run it this year. I just wanted to start the ball rolling on the 3 strikes and you're in policy, but sometimes it doesn't work the way you planned. Yumke got in on his second try and he didn't want to. As it is right now, he's scheduled to do 3 marathons in 3 weeks in the fall. Hard core!

4 comments:

yumke said...

Hm, since it's a slower pace marathon you could go with an old shoe.?

I think I may defer...

jen said...

Ha, I was going to say wear the new shoes but I don't know. Definitely body glide. You know you can rub it into the sock too for extra protection. Good luck and have fun!

SweetThingsTO said...

I've noticed the Saucony's widens their toebox just a tad every year. So, I've switched and I'm all about Asics now. I've also discovered the best socks in the worlds - you'll never blister - is injinji. They are funny socks - but the best!

Arcane said...

Yumke: 3 in 3 weeks might be a bit much. Plus there's the crazy cost of being in DC and NY the week after. Probably the smart thing to do.

SweetThing:Ran the race today in the Saucony's and now have more blisters. My previous pair were asics, probably should have stuck with those. I've tried the injinji socks before and I think they gave me a blister too, maybe i didn't have the right size...

temp