Training and Fitness Trackers

on Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 7:36 PM

So after a little bit of catching up, I"m back onto the training schedule so far. Things are going okay.  Thankfully there hasn't been snow on the ground which has made running outside "easier", but the wind can be a bit of a pain when its blowing and it's cold. 

The gym thing is going okay.  I've only been there twice to run on the treadmill, both times to do LT runs.  I also managed to get a swim in last weekend. First time I've swam in at least 5 years. DOMS is settling into the arms now which I suppose is good. Water there is too warm I find though. I guess the pool temperature is setup for aqua-aerobics which is a class they offer and the casual swimmer. For any serious swim workout, it makes you want to throw-up. 

I got a fitbit charge HR.  I bought it last week cause with the tanking CDN dollar, it is actually cheaper to buy it here in Canada then to buy it in the US with the exchange rate. That tells me that they'll probably raise the price of it pretty soon.  Garmin is apparently raising the prices of their devices here on February 1, so I figure now is a good time to buy stuff before the prices start going through the roof. The device is a fitness tracker that also measures HR, but does so without a chest strap.  I wasn't too sure how well the device would work and googling around, most people say that the HR is a bit hit or miss.  I've only had it for a week, but I find the accuracy to be bang on so far. I"ve done a few runs outside and the HR seems to match what my polar HR monitor gives.  But then again, it was being used in cold conditions, with no sweat being generated and buried under multiple layers of clothing so there was no possibility of light interference. I wore it to the gym this morning in the hopes of seeing how it worked inside on a treadmill during an LT run, but I forgot to start the workout tracking mode where it records more detailed data.  The only HR data I had then was the daily HR monitor which only reports average HR every 5 minutes so I can't compare data for that.

I'm liking it so far. I'll post something more detailed once I've gotten a few more weeks of usage under my belt.  

1 comments:

Robin said...

Nice to see you back in the pool. Looking forward to hearing your follow up on the fitness tracker...I've been intrigued by them.

temp