Remembrance Day

on Tuesday, November 11, 2014 at 8:10 PM

So today's Remembrance Day, known as Veteran's Day in the US and Armistice Day in other's parts of the world. It's that time of the year when we remember those who gave their lives for what we have today, which has special significance in light of the attack in Ottawa a few weeks ago at a war memorial.

I heard on the news this morning that the police were still looking for the Remembrance Day flag kicker from two years ago.   As the story goes, a group of people were trying to raise some money for veteran's by selling these little Canadian flags that people would then stand up into the ground.  This guy, allegedly, ran through the flags kicking them down and trampling on them. Someone did manage to get a cell phone pic of him...as he was giving everyone the finger.  What class. Now this story is only allegedly and he doesn't appear to be trampling any flags here, so it's possible to give this guy the benefit of the doubt, but it completely amazes me that in this world of social media, that this guy hasn't been outed yet. Judging by the picture, this isn't some newbie runner as he's got a lot of running gear that you don't just pick up at Wal'mart: the calf sleeves, tri shoes (?), the compression tights. He probably runs quite in a few races and someone in the running community must know who he is.

Which got me thinking of how quick would I be outed if I did something similar.  I think it would be pretty quick. Not including, the managing editor of Huffington's Post, I guess a few non-runners might recognize me and leak my name. A google search would probably come up with race results, race results lead to race pictures, searches of race pictures might lead to this blog and social media accounts and then before you know it news organizations would be posting about the 4:51 marathon I did back in 2010 and my snot pictures from 2006.

It could just be that this guy is such a nice guy that people that do know him don't want to get him into trouble, which I suppose is a possibility or maybe it was just a big misunderstanding. To be honest, maybe it's just the patriot in me, but I find it unfathomable that anyone who lives in this country would go out of their way to kick down Canadian flags.  I guess we'll never know the real story.

Day 11


0 comments:

temp