In memorial

on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 at 11:09 PM

I haven't had a lot of time to read or post as of late. I don't know if it's just me but it seems that there are a lot more people blogging more often. I check my news reader and I'm faced with 50 new posts! I guess people have more time available to them now that it's getting cooler.

I received an industry newsletter that I get every other month yesterday. It sometimes contains interesting articles, but it's mostly just ads and announcements. There are sometimes memorials of people that have passed on. They are normally of people working in my field that have long since retired and have passed on due to old age. I tossed my newsletter out yesterday without really giving it a good look through, but a colleague of mine pointed out to me today one of the memorials which I had skipped right over.

He was about my age and he died after having run a 10km race on July 1. I had actually considered running in that particular race. i don't remember hearing anything about it at the time so I'm kind of stunned that this is the first I've heard about it. An autopsy didn't reveal any inherent heart problems and his death is still a mystery.

I didn't know him, but his death really makes me think. He didn't have heart problems like the man who passed on at the recent Scotiabank marathon and he looks healthy in the pictures. It really makes you reconsider things.

Rest in Peace, Perry.



http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3013842250207676497

7 comments:

Kristi said...

Every year you hear of someone dying at the end or in the middle of a race. It's always scary since as runners, we can almost always relate to the deceased.
I always choose to think that at least the person died doing something that they were passionate about.
I could die tomorrow crossing the street, and I don't know about you, but I'd rather die while finishing a big race than get hit by a bus.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that beautiful memorial.

Looks like he packed a lot of life in the little time that he had.

jen said...

Wow, that is sad. It's always so sad when a young person dies. But like Steve said, it looks like he lived a really full and exciting life, and had a close family. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Sonia said...

I think Kristi's right better die while running than on the couch like a big potato.... RIP

SRR said...

Yep...time management SUCKS ass!!

Perry said...

I never want to die. But I suppose there's not much you can do about it. Live life and don't regret anything.

Just Your Average Joggler
Perry

Anonymous said...

Really sad. Wonder what caused such a tragic loss.

temp