Update

on Thursday, October 4, 2007 at 8:50 PM

Well my quads have recovered okay, but my left Achilles tendon and calf is still kinda tight and painful. I headed off to the gym on Tuesday to sit in the hot tub to get some blood flowing to the area and to do some self massage. I arrived there only to find that both the swimming pool and the hottub had been filled in. Reading some of the info, I found out they're apparently removing the pool and hot tub to make room for more cardio equipment. This was all news to me since I haven't been there since April. I think I'm going to have to cancel my membership there since the only reason I really signed up originally was for the pool and the occasional treadmill run. I'll have to see what the new facilities look like once they've done the renovations before I decide for sure.

I haven't yet decided on the marathon in two weeks thing yet. The weather is looking to be almost perfect with a high of 8C. With that and considering that the big hill is gone and it's on the exact same trail that I've done most of my long runs on, I'd really like to do it, but am not sure if this achilles thing will heal in time.

Anyhow I did some searching and actually found a training plan for two weeks between marathons. It's not so much a training plan as it is direction to rest and have a run every couple of days to make sure that the legs still work. But at least I know someone else has contemplated it. Having said that I followed the plan and did a 2 mile run yesterday and a 3 mile run today. Both were very slow.

4 comments:

yumke said...

Wow, it's crazy it's only two weeks between marathons in Toronto -- almost as if the waterfront marathon is trying to squeeze the life out of the other one... Get rest and don't injure yourself!

AddictedToEndorphins said...

Yep! I agree, just be careful.
I am a little confused as to why they are like 2 weeks apart. Seriously. Why wouldn't they put one in the beginning of the season and one near the end, so that people can run both.

Sonia said...

You are definitely not the only maniac who is doing both. Dgrant and Alfiefrompickering are also doing both races. You can decide closer to the date if you want to do it. No rush to register!

Marky Mark said...

hey man-what about one of the out of town ones later in the month or beyond? Niagara Falls, Cleveland-even Memphis?

temp